Monday, March 2, 2020

Filming blog: Establishing horror within the film

          When establishing the overall film introduction, my group and I wanted to ensure that the audience could clearly understand the genre. This is significantly important as the audience may find the film uninteresting or hard to comprehend and follow along with. My group and I recognized the importance of this and automatically took action. My group and I took many steps to ensure that our film inquired multiple senes that exhibited horror. To assist with this, we decided to film in dark locations, increasing the suspense and level of horror for the audience. For example, the scariest scenes were filmed in the bathroom, laundry room, and closet. These locations were very beneficial as each of those rooms sustained no windows, thus letting no unwanted lighting into the room we were filming in. When we were filming in these very dark locations, we used our flashlights to create just enough light to allow the audience to see what is happening in each scene. The usage of flashlights allows more darkness in the room and fewer objects to be identified. This results in an increase in horror in the effect of mysterious and creepy surroundings.
          When establishing the overall film introduction, my group and I also ensured that the audience could clearly understand the genre through the usage of props. During the scariest scenes, my group and I made sure to incorporate props to expand the feeling of horror within the audience. The most used prop which was incorporated in most of our scenes was the Ouija Board. Many individuals recognize the Ouija Board as a popular yet very scary board game. The usage of the Ouija Board intensifies the level of horror and warns the audience how scary the following scenes may be. If my group and I didn't have the Ouija Board, it would be more difficult for the audience to know that something scary was going to happen. When relating to other props, the scariest scene of our film was shot in the bathroom. In this scene, we wanted one of the characters to get possessed and pulled away. The usage of the shower curtain made this scene not only possible but scary and believable as well. To create this scene, I had to get into the bathtub and pretend to possess one of the characters by pulling her head back into the curtain (not hard enough to hurt her). This creates somewhat of a mystery leaving the audience wondering what happened to the possessed girl and who that antagonist was that possessed her.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment